Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Precious Within



A story told in ASL. Read below for an English version.

"There was once a wise woman traveling in the mountains who found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and she opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked if she might give it to him. She did so without hesitation. The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime. But only a few days later he came back to return the stone to the woman who had given it to him.

"I've been thinking," he said, "I know how valuable the stone is, but I'm giving it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. I want you to give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone."

11 comments:

John Lestina --- said...

Beautiful ASL story!

Anonymous said...

Great story, we should all take something from it.

Dennis

Beaux Arts de Boutjean said...

A beaut! I love stories like yours as well as Aesop's Fables. They are great moral lessons.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill! So great to see you again! Loved your story. It's lesson is a deep one.

The act of giving and helping another person in need is more precious than gold.

That's the moral I take from this story.

Thanks for sharing.

~ LaRonda

Shrimpy said...

WOW IT Beautiful and Hit my heart and Littie bite Cry... I love your Story .. WOW Hope so Keep Up on VLOG ... :-)

See you around
Sara or Shrimpy

DeafKathy (Wilson) said...

!!WOW!!

Magnanimousness (unselfishness)

Cheers!

mishkazena said...

What a beautiful message. Yes, people who are giving have something that others don't have and that spirit is more precious than any gem.

Anonymous said...

Love your story! The greatest gift is to give and not ever expect anything in return. And if we all can be like that women, there would not be a need for any "wants" in the world.

Unknown said...

Love, love, simple, love it.

Bless you for reminding and sharing this with us.

:-)

Hilda Richey said...

Yesterday when I was reading one of Joel S. Goldsmith's books, I came across a statement that reminded me of your great story and wanted to share it with you.
"The beiginning of wisdom is the realization that the kingdom of God is within us and that it must flow out from us." It is the nature of the Spirit to be giving -- Love is giving. :)
By the way, Joel S. Goldsmith (1892-1964) is considered one of America's great Christian mystics.
I've found his teachings to resonate much with the teachings of ACIM. So, if any of you who declare Christian and are dubious about/or suspicious of ACIM, may I encourage you to check out Goldsmith's books? A good one to start with may be THE INFINITE WAY. He wrote many books! If you find his teachings agreeable, then maybe you would like to give ACIM a try. :) Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I love your story!!! good job! I hope to see more from you!